Monday, November 20, 2017

the Seasonal Cycle of Media

I'm not sure if this is just me - or if everyone is like this - but I've noticed something about myself: my media interests seem to be somewhat cyclical, based on the time of year.

To give a few examples...
  • In May, I'm especially interested in spirituality books (such as Rob Bell's books, and of course the writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson), as well as manga, anime, and/or video games that take place in modern day Japan.
  • In late July and August, I lean towards American and European media - BBC tv shows, Cormac McCarthy books, etc. Asian media still makes an appearance here and there (such as a large concentration on Psycho-Pass last year) but it's not as predominant in the late summer like this.
  • Unsurprisingly (and as I spent the entirety of the month discussing), October features a lot of horror stuff - whether books, movies, or video games. In addition to this, though, October also features a come back to an emphasis on Asian media. 
  • November and December are really the only times of year I'll partake of fantasy - again, whether books, movies, or video games. I also enjoy more colorful things around this time - for example, it's the only time I'm likely to play Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda), as opposed to PlayStation games. Correspondingly, it's also the time of year I'm most likely to read children's books.

Anyway. Time to go into a more concrete example.

Recently I’ve been thinking about 47 Ronin. You remember that horrendous 2013 movie starting Keanu Reeves? - yeah, you're right; it was pretty terrible.

One fateful November day two years ago, I happened upon a used copy of the novelization of the movie. I hadn't yet seen the movie - and so didn't know how bad it was - but of course the premise interested me. You'll notice above that October brings me back to Asian media, and November is when my interest in fantasy kicks in. Considering that 47 Ronin is a Japanese fantasy, the timing was perfect.

So then. I decided to give the book a shot. And it was incredible.

Weird, I know. 

Again, this is a novelization - meaning it came after the movie. And the movie was unforgivable. Yet somehow Joan D. Vinge managed to take atrocious source material and turn it into a beautiful epic about honor and the things we cherish. 

This was two years ago I read it. And, like clockwork, last November I started itching to read it again. So I did. 

Sure, this second reading may have been a little too soon - I remembered the story quite well from the year before - but it's still a magical book. 

And here we are, November one year later, and - surprise! - I'm itching to read it yet again. Granted, this time around, I've decided to skip it. I don't want to overdo the magic; I'll wait another year or two until my memories of the book fade a bit more. But let's call it what it is: next time I read it, it will probably be in a November.

Is this just me? Or do you do anything like this, friends? Does your interest in media follow any sort of seasonal cycle like this? 

5 comments:

  1. I do this too but I'll never know if it's because I got it from you or if it's natural

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, true. You definitely play more video games around this time of year, but I can't say I've noticed patterns in your choice of reading material throughout the seasons. :-P

      Delete
  2. I had not thought about this but I am somewhat cyclical in my media choices. I think I am more influenced by seasons and holidays. In January I am especially into health, although I am into it all year. In Spring and Fall I am interested in nature. During the holidays I enjoy food media and also cheerful media. I will be observing myself more closely now though:) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this all makes sense. I hadn't considered nature in this post, but Spring and Fall are when I spend the most time outside, so I'm with you there. And I think the Thanksgiving -Christmas stretch is when I partake of fantasy, children's books/movies, and generally colorful things specifically because of the holidays - this was always a special time of year as a kid, and I'm sure that just carried on over into adulthood.

      Thanks for the comments! :)

      Delete
  3. I play more Nintendo around Christmas too, haha. Weird.

    ReplyDelete